The day you thought may never come has arrived, and your braces are ready to be removed. What now? Many patients require an additional step in their orthodontic care: retention. Following the removal of your braces or Invisalign® aligners, we will take impressions of your teeth to create a custom-made retainer.
Why do I need a retainer?
Retainers help maintain the alignment and spacing that your braces created so that you can “retain” your new, amazing smile. The type of retainer recommended by our orthodontist will vary based on your orthodontic needs and personal preference. Our team would be happy to present you with the different options available and explain their uses so that you can make an informed choice.
How can I care for my retainer?
Once you have received your retainer(s), you can increase their longevity by practicing the following:
- Wear your retainer(s) for the recommended amount of time.
- Remove your retainer(s) during meal times and place it them in their case (many retainers have been lost in restaurants and school lunchrooms).
- Thoroughly clean your retainer(s) at least once a day using a high-quality retainer cleansing product. You are welcome to contact A Winning Smile Orthodontics to learn which products are best for your retainer(s). Cleaning your retainer removes plaque buildup and eliminates odors.
- Keep your retainer(s) in their case when not in use (pets think retainers are great chew toys).
Additional Retainer Tips
- You may find speaking with retainer(s) to be a challenge at first, but you can get used to it faster by practicing speaking, singing, or reading aloud.
- Treat your retainer(s) with care. If it becomes broken, please contact our office immediately.
- Keep the retainer(s) away from hot water, pockets, the washing machine, napkins, and hot car dashboards.
- Remove your retainer(s) when swimming.
- Always bring your retainer(s) to your orthodontic appointments.
If you have questions about your retainer(s) or would like an appointment to have them checked, call our office at (614) 888-8070 for an appointment. You are welcome to contact A Winning Smile Orthodontics today to learn more about retainers in Worthington and the surrounding Columbus, Ohio areas.